Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Creating Vibrant Characters

It is quite possible that over the next month I'll be writing a slew of posts where I quote or refer to James Scott Bell http://www.jamesscottbell.com/ as I am reading his book on Plot and Structure. Fabulous book for writers who are ever growing, ever reaching.

Though Bell's book is not about character development per se, I was struck today as he talked about establishing a bond with the reader through the lead character.  He says that he "happened across Lajos Egri's advice about living, vibrating human beings being the secret of great enduring writing. Egri suggested that if you truly know yourself deeply and intimately, you will be able to create great, complex, and interesting characters."

I spent a few minutes thinking this through before the obvious occurred to me. I am the source of my characters. If I know me, then I have a rich well from which my characters can react to circumstances or engage in genuine dialogue. If I am honest with me about me, then their responses can be deep and rich, rather than stiff or contrived. Wearing a character's shoes may be quite the worthwhile exercise.

2 comments:

  1. Great quote! Have you read "Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life" by Anne Lamott? It's hilarious AND helpful! Win-win. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan,
    Exactly "write on" about all the characters welling up from the cistern of our lives. When I look at my characters and listen to their voices I see my own life unfolding.

    ReplyDelete