Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Texture of Relaxation

Rest is something our culture does not do well. It seems that we are swept along on a current of activity - all of which is important - until we either hurt or break. Even the way we play does not allow for rest. This seems true of children and adults alike. After school kids are off to soccer practice, music lessons, drama club, and or a ‘play date’. After practice or the game they come home, have dinner, practice an instrument or work on lines for the play, do homework, and get ready for the next day. By the time homework is done it's time for bed. Down time, if there is any, is in front of the TV. Parents race home from work to get their children to each of their different activities at different locations, make dinner while the kids work on the homework, and then get ready for the next day. If you're a teacher or in business, you probably bring work home with you; this you do during your "down" time. Where is the family quiet time where you discuss your day, tell stories, laugh, bond, and connect as a family?

My husband Steve and I were on vacation several weeks ago and we were exhausted and in need of this vacation; our pace being no different than the average American living in Los Angeles. We went up to Oregon to drink in the gorgeous nature along the Columbia River. We stayed at a beautiful Bed & Breakfast in the valley of Mt. Hood. The air was cool, fresh, and crisp. The foliage shimmered in vibrant hues of red, yellow, and orange. Waterfalls and rivers were in abundance. Trees were numerous, crowds were limited, and traffic noises were barely existent. In that environment I experienced myself decompress dramatically. So significant was the decompression that the following poem exhaled with all my tensions.

THE TEXTURE OF RELAXATION
by Susan Skommesa
10/11/09

The absence of the rat-race startles me
Stillness infiltrates every fiber of my being
Surprisingly, the stillness is teaming with life.
Trees whisper their dance across my attention
A tender cool breeze tickles my skin
Scented vibrant air pulls up deep releasing breaths from my core
A symphony orchestrated by a variety of birds siphons off my tension
The majestic rise of mountains refires my creativity
Delightful creatures all around hold my curiosity
And by the end of the day...
As a swash of brilliant stars consumes the night sky
The chains of the city release their hold

May you and your family  find a way to drink in peace each day!

Susan



Copyright 2009 Susan Skommesa. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment